Type-safe, data-driven apps, even if databases freak you out
Written version: https://www.learnwithjason.dev/blog/convex-type-safe-database
You can build a database-powered app with end-to-end type safety and real-time updates without needing to learn how to manage databases. This tutorial will show you how.
- Source code: https://github.com/learnwithjason/dashboard-convex-react
- Finished app: https://convex-dashboard-react.netlify.app/
Quick note: at 3:50 and 7:20, the mutations should also be async functions and we should
await db.insert() — leaving it out isn't a bug but the Convex team let me know that it's safer to always send async functions to queries and mutations.
Huge thanks to Convex for sponsoring this video. Learn more at https://convex.dev
- Read this tutorial instead: https://www.learnwithjason.dev/blog/convex-type-safe-database
- Convex documentation: https://docs.convex.dev/introduction/
- Unsplash: https://unsplash.com/ — images of pups came from here
- React Charts: https://react-charts.tanstack.com/ — used for the stats view
Convex is the backend application platform with everything you need to build your project. Cloud functions, a database, file storage, scheduling, search, and realtime updates fit together seamlessly.